Thursday, August 1, 2013

What is Hope?

I have a ton of thoughts bouncing around my head right now and I feel like I need to get some of them down on paper.  I have been thinking a lot lately about hope.  What is hope?  What does it mean, and how can it influence my life?  How does it lead to faith and charity and improve my life?

For much of my life, I thought that hope meant to wish for better things.  To hope that my life would work out the way I wanted.  To hope for a favorite sports team to win or that my family would get the things they wanted in life.  Now, I am not sure that is really the essence of hope.  That is not to say that those things are bad or unhealthy.  Everyone has feelings like that, wishes for better things and happier days.  I think it is a normal part of being human. 

Lately though, I have had to re-evaluate what it means to really have hope.  I have been reading Conquering Your Own Goliaths, by Steven A. Cramer.  It is a powerful book and one that has been life-changing for me.  Early on in the reading there is a quote that he shares that comes from President Benson given during a talk at General Conference in October of 1983 entitled; Jesus Christ; Our Savior and Redeemer.  The quote truly defines what real hope means and where it comes from;

Only Jesus Christ is uniquely qualified to provide that hope, that confidence, and that strength to overcome the world and rise above our human failings.

What a powerful concept.  True hope only comes from Jesus Christ.  His example, his sacrifice, his willingness to ALWAYS be there when needed.  That is where all hope stems from.  Whether it be addiction, shattered relationships, sickness, anxiety or depression.  He is the way and the source of all true hope.  Hope is so much more than just positive vibes or feelings.  Hope is powerful, it is life altering.  

Brother Cramer drives this concept home a few pages later in Conquering Your Own Goliaths when he shares the following;

It doesn't matter how we got to where we are.  The way out remains the same:  Jesus Christ-- for he is the Way.  And we don't have to have all the answers when we know the One who is the Answer.

I think for me, part of the reason it can be so hard to wrap my brain around this concept is that it almost seems too good to be true.  Too simple and easy.  All through life we are taught to be self reliant and work hard and be all that we can.  So to think that no matter the problem, the solution is to surrender it to Him, trust Him, and have hope in Him and that is the solution.  Its hard to believe.  For whatever reason, sometimes it makes more sense to beat my head against a brick wall than to simply be humble and surrender my fears to the Lord.  Sadly, all that leads to is more pain in the form of a headache.

President Uchtdorf summed it up perfectly as only he can in his amazing message given in October of 2008, The Infinite Power of Hope;

We hope in Jesus the Christ, in the goodness of God, in the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, in the knowledge that prayers are heard and answered. Because God has been faithful and kept His promises in the past, we can hope with confidence that God will keep His promises to us in the present and in the future. In times of distress, we can hold tightly to the hope that things will “work together for [our] good” as we follow the counsel of God’s prophets. This type of hope in God, His goodness, and His power refreshes us with courage during difficult challenges and gives strength to those who feel threatened by enclosing walls of fear, doubt, and despair.

This is the true meaning and power of hope.  Believing, trusting, knowing, that no matter my circumstances, how I got here, why I got here or how far I am from where I want to be, the answer is still the same.  The Atonement happened for me.  It happened because I was destined to make mistakes, to fall down and not know how to get back up.  It happened because he loves ME and wants me to overcome and be happy.  No matter the problem, the trial or the pain, He is the answer.  

In closing I want to turn once again to President Uchtdorf and share probably my favorite quote of all time.  One that has lifted my spirit more times than I could possibly explain;

And to all who suffer—to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely—I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in. Never surrender. Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.  Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart.

Even when everything else in life seems to be crashing down around me, there is hope.  Hope in Him.  Hope that I can bear this, that there is joy on the other side, that if I have enough faith and hope that happiness is available to me even during periods of trial and stress.  His love surpasses all and is the source of true joy.  

1 comment:

  1. This is so powerful and beautifully written. I have been thinking about hope a lot as well, and man, Pres. Uchtdorf just says it so well huh? Those quotes were amazing. Love Goliath's too, that book is full of hope. It IS a difficult concept to hold onto though, these thoughts were helpful for me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete