Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sharing Light With The World

Over the past few weeks I have been blessed to have the opportunity to help my wife edit and proofread a book she is writing to share her story with the world.  As I would read each chapter, I would feel the spirit, every single time.  Even though I was already familiar with her story and in many cases had lived it with her, I couldn't help but be touched by the honesty, truth and hope.

I also recently finished reading Conquering Your Own Goliaths by Stephen A. Cramer.  Brother Cramer is also a recovering sex addict who was stuck at the depths and then found the Savior and was filled with hope.  Once again, as I read his story and the stories of others he shares, I was filled with light and hope.

It is much the same when I read the various addiction blogs and articles online.  There is just so much power and hope is seeing others walk the same path that I walk and seeing their successes, their stumbles and their willingness to keep getting up.

I have been thinking a lot about this over the past few days and why it is important.  The conclusion I have come to is that addiction teaches isolation.  It teaches me to hide, to be afraid, that I am the worst.  Satan is terrified of solidarity, of friendship, of love and support.  He knows the power in sharing with each other and sharing one another's burdens.  I am reminded of the baptismal covenant from Mosiah Chapter 18: 8-9;

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—


I can't think of any better way to 'mourn with those who mourn' than by being there with hand extended to a friend stuck in addiction and being willing to say; "I understand. I have been there. Share some of my strength while the Lord replenishes yours".

I am particularly touched by the line 'to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things and in all places'. Being open about addiction is hard. But even a willingness to be a witness on a blog, or in a recovery meeting or with a trusted family member or friend, brings so much power and inspiration. Not to mention by doing it, I am living up to my baptismal covenants!

I am so grateful for those who have gone before me and been willing to share their light. If no one ever stood up and shared their testimony and said 'This is who I am and my Savior loves me anyway' we might all still be stuck thinking we are alone. But we aren't alone! We have the companionship of a loving Savior and the examples of so many who have walked this path and been brave enough to share their light with me and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. This is truth! Thank you, Tim!
    Addiction is very isolating and that is one reason why I love PASG and the ARP program, because it lets me know I am not alone. I am understood and I am loved.
    I also love how you point out it helps us be witnesses of the Savior to those who need it. I am grateful for your example to me.

    ReplyDelete