Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What is Real Hope?

I have been thinking a lot lately about hope.  Hope can be such a beautiful blessing but sometimes hope seems in vain.  Like no matter how much I pray or desire something that seems like a righteous blessing that is just isn't meant to be.  It can lead to despair and frustration.  So I have been studying a lot on the topic lately to try and have a better understanding so that hope can be a force for good in my life.

As I pondered and prayed on this topic I ran across a talk by Elder Neil A. Maxwell given back in October of 1998 which oddly enough was the month I got married.  I don't remember it being given but I wasn't exactly in such a great place spiritually in 1998 so that probably isn't surprising. 

His beautiful message was titled Hope Through The Atonement of Jesus Christ

It rang so true to  my heart as I read his words.  Hope isn't just wishing and wanting for selfish things that may or may not have a measure of righteousness.  True hope, Godly hope, ALWAYS involves an eternal perspective and always involves hope through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Elder Maxwell explains;
Our everyday usage of the word hope includes how we “hope” to arrive at a certain destination by a certain time. We “hope” the world economy will improve. We “hope” for the visit of a loved one. Such typify our sincere but proximate hopes.
Life’s disappointments often represent the debris of our failed, proximate hopes. Instead, however, I speak of the crucial need for ultimate hope.
Ultimate hope is a different matter. It is tied to Jesus and the blessings of the great Atonement, blessings resulting in the universal Resurrection and the precious opportunity provided thereby for us to practice emancipating repentance, making possible what the scriptures call “a perfect brightness of hope” (2 Ne. 31:20).
Moroni confirmed: “What is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ” Moro. 7:40–41; see also Alma 27:28). Real hope, therefore, is not associated with things mercurial, but rather with things immortal and eternal!

That is not to say that it is bad to have a measure of hope or desire for things to come.  Desiring good things to come in this life and even in the present isn't a bad thing.  We know that God wants us to be happy.  I know that he wants me to be happy.  But that isn't truly righteous hope.  True hope means having faith in Him, in His sacrifice and trusting in His ability to get me to where I need to be.  If I place my hope, my trust and my faith in the Savior I will never be let down.  I will never be led astray.

It's hard at times.  But I know that it is worth it.

As I was pondering this post it reminded me of a song I used to love.  That I still love but that I just haven't listened to in awhile.  The song is Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks.  The chorus rung true then and still does today; 
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
I don't know what tomorrow brings, but He does.  I do however know what the eternities can bring.  They will be full of happiness and joy and exaltation because He died for me.  He will always see me through and get me to where I need to be.  I just have to be patient and hope.  Not for my own selfish desires.  Hope in Him.   He is the answer to every problem.  The solution to every equation and the balm to every wound.  He is my everything.

Today I can face Him and hope. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved the talk by Elder Maxwell, thank you for linking it here. I have put much hope into MY righteous desires and the outcome I wanted. I have fought some lessons Heavenly Father has tried to teach me. I couldn't understand not having my journey be the 1 I thought I should have had. He has different lessons for me to learn than I think I do. Thank you. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete