Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How Do I Know If It's Real?

So yesterday marked 6 weeks of sobriety and clean living.  It was a good day and a nice milestone, but ultimately it was just another day.  I have had 6 weeks of sobriety before to varying degrees.  A couple years back I even managed to go over a year without acting out.  So the question I find myself asking, "How do I know if its real?"  Is it really different this time?  Have I turned a corner or am I just swimming my way back around my cycle?

I decided to make a list of some things I am doing differently this time that I think are making a difference to help give me perspective.  This is mostly for me, as a reminder down the road of things that worked for me, but perhaps some of these will work for others as well.

  • I now pray every morning - I have never been good at morning prayer.  I get up between 4 and 5 every day but Sunday and its hard.  Dropping to my knees to pray is often the last thing on my mind.  
  • I do my best to avoid "touching gray".  Click the link to see a great post my wife wrote on this subject.  For much of my life I had convinced myself that I could watch the borderline TV shows, movies and media content as long as I "looked away" or fast forwarded when the inappropriate content reared it's head.  We used to enjoy watching The Walking Dead but we stopped recently because the violent content drained the Spirit.  I was also a big fan of How I Met Your Mother and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.  I no longer watch either.  I'm not saying this is for everyone but they aren't for me.  At least not right now. 
  • I put a filter on my phone.  This one seems obvious, but I fought it for years.  We have a WiFi filter that works to some extent but it isn't foolproof and I had always avoided having a filter on my phone because it was an inconvenience.  I hated that the filter made everything slower, made searching harder and generally was a nuisance. 
  • I reach out SOOOOO much more.  I text multiple people every day.  I not only seek support when struggling but I do my best to offer support to others.  Heaven knows I don't have all the answers but I offer what I can and pray that it helps.
  • I now only listen almost exclusively to Christian Radio and I actually enjoy it.  It's still a little bit weird, even to me.  But the inspirational messages and songs that repeatedly testify of The Savior have boosted me more times than I can tell you.
All of these have been great experiences and definitely help me, but I had a realization the other night.  While attending our monthly ARP fireside, one of the speakers said something that really resonated with me.  He said that the person with the most sobriety in the room was the person who got up earliest that day because the 12 Steps only work, one day at a time.   So the reality is, I don't know if it's different this time.  I don't know if 6 weeks of sobriety really means anything.  All I know is that things are different today.  That could all change tomorrow or the day after that but all I can control is today.  As I re-read my list I realized that the reason these things are working is because I have been doing my best to do them every single day.  So I am going to try harder to not focus on "this time" or "last time".  All that really matters is today.  Today I have done my best to feel the Spirit and be worthy of its presence.  Tomorrow I will wake up and hit my knees and try it all over again.  Because one day at a time, things can be different.

~~~ Tim

6 comments:

  1. first off...well done!! Racking in sobriety is always better.

    Here is what I have to cling to. What is the big goal?? What is the real objective?? We are trying to become godlike. We are trying to cultivate ALL the pure attributes. Honesty, trust, love, compassion, humility, temperance. If we are clearing away the 'wreckage of our past' then I think that has got to be commended. The sobriety will naturally flow out of a changed heart. I could probably willpower my may into 6 weeks of 'no acting out' but it only seems sustainable if our whole heart and soul is in it and God is CHANGING us.

    anyway, that is what I try to cling to...Am I changing?? A little bit extra day. I love, love the day at a time approach. (heck, I can barely survive an hour at a time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely notice a difference in you this time around. In fact at tines I feel a bit inferior because your dailies far surpass mine. But in the end, I'm happy to see your determination and progression.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt! I feel that you are sincere, and you are doing new things, a mark of someone who's out of the rut. Like you sa though: One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been plagued with the feelings of Am I really Changing? is this time different? Well why does this have to be a time? I mean the entire point of recovery for me is to break the cycle. I have gone years in between acting out at times but it has never been full hearted. I still clung to many of the things that contributed to my addiction, like jokes, flirting, etc. I know for me things are different because those little seemingly innocent things are changing too. I love the quote by Elder Maxwell in step 3 in the ARP book it says, "this submission to the Lord is hard doctrine. It requires us to rededicate ourselves to His will at the start of each day and sometimes every hour or even from moment to moment."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, dang I forgot I already commented on this thread, but I still had it up on my phone and read and loved it all over again. I think, like Jana said, I need to remind myself that this isn't another time around--I'm hoping for change, a change of character. And someday I hope I have the courage to do what you're choosing to do (at least what you've bulletpointed for us).

    ReplyDelete