Monday, April 6, 2015

Attitude is Everything

So the last couple weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind. I had to work 6 days a week, 2 out of the last 3 weeks. It was a very busy week at work full of extra meetings, work travel and just a busy time of year. I felt overwhelmed at times. On top of everything else we had to move because our lease was up on our old house and the owners wanted to sell. They were open to us staying and going month to month but we didn't want to risk them selling the house from under us so we decided to leave on our terms. Things went smoothly and we had a lot of wonderful help from our neighbors and ward members. But through it all I struggled at times to find balance.

Somewhere along the way I decided that it was OK to start feeling sorry for myself. I started to focus purely on the negatives in my situation. "Wow I can't believe I keep getting called in on my day off." "I can't believe I had to spend my only 2 days off moving and unpacking and cleaning." It is easy to get sucked down the rabbit hole when I focus on the negative. The reality is, there will always be hurdles in life. There will always be times of trial that are more difficult, that are frustrating. That is how we grow. It is how I grow. But when these times arise, it is my experience that attitude is everything.

Thursday night after I good talk with my wife I recognized that about 90% of my problem was me. I was focusing entirely on everything that was bad in my life when there is so much to be thankful for. We found a beautiful new home in an amazing neighborhood. My relationship with my wife and family is growing stronger and better each day. I have over 19 weeks of sobriety and clean living because I am learning more and more each day to lean on the Savior and surrender my struggles to Him rather than trying to overcome them alone. There is so much good in my life.

Friday morning I chose to have a good day. I knelt down that morning and thanked my Heavenly Father for the good in my life and decided before I left the house that I would have a good day. Later that morning I sent the following text to my wife; "Things are good here. Even though it's been a hectic morning I decided I was going to have a good day and so far I have. Thanks for your example and for just being amazing" She replied that she was glad and I responded; "The first step in having a good day is choosing to see the good in your day."

It sounds corny, it sounds too easy. But it's true. The last 3 days have gone so much better. I have still worked long hours, I have still dealt with life and stress and trials, but I have chosen to see the good in my life first. I focus on expressing gratitude in my prayers and to my family. They are amazing and I am so grateful to have them in my life. I asked my wife the other day if I had told her yet today that she is amazing. Because she truly is and I am lucky to have her in my life.

Life is good. Life is good because I choose for it to be good. Because I choose to see the good. Because I choose to trust my Savior and express my gratitude to Him. Life really can be good all the time regardless of my circumstances, I just have to be willing to find the goodness. But when I look for it, it is always there.

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read this today, I've been struggling to see the good in each day and not focus on the bad. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete