Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Light of Christ

I've been studying a lot lately about light.  I blogged about it awhile back but I just keep running into references and it has become a fascinating concept for me.  I discovered the other day that as part of their Mormon Messages feature, the LDS Church has released a 3 part short video series featuring Elder David A. Bednar talking about the light of Christ and the blessing it can be in our lives. 

I was watching the first video and reading the associated scriptures and he shares a scripture that really struck me;

 D&C 50:24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.

This is such a simple, yet powerful concept.  The more I live in the light, the more light I receive and the brighter and brighter the light of Christ within me becomes.  Every time I read the scriptures, pray, serve my family of fellow man.  Every single time I attend Church, go to a 12 step meeting.  I am nourishing that light.

Conversely, every time I entertain a lustful thought, objectify a daughter of God, lie, manipulate, or any other behavior that addiction has taught me, I lose a portion of that light.    So it really becomes almost a battle within me.  How much am I doing to increase my light today.  Did the things I did to improve myself, outweigh the negative behaviors?  Was I moving forward and living more in the light?

The wonderful part of this concept is the knowledge that it does get easier.  Just as the scripture says.  "that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day".  Addiction can be overcome.  Poor decisions, unhealthy behaviors, dishonesty and all of it.  It can be overcome.  Day by day, good decision by good decision.  The more I allow the light into my life the easier it will be to make good choices.

I think this is why 12 Step programs have such a strong emphasis on dailies.  Because I have to be increasing my light every single day.  Because if I don't,  I know for a fact that Satan is doing everything in his power to diminish that light and fill my life with darkness.

Here is the video.  It's #1 in a 3 part series and there are links to the other 3 at the end.  It's definitely worth checking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment