Friday, May 24, 2013

Living In The Light

I have been thinking a lot lately about the battle between light and darkness.  The core struggle that occurs within me between making good decisions and making poor ones.  Even being stagnant and doing nothing is an example of making a poor decision.  As I have pondered this subject I was reminded of the wonderful message given by President Utchdorf at the last session of General Conference.  His message was titled "The Hope Of God's Light". 

He talks a lot about the power of light and how it can bring light and hope to dark places. 
He testifies that this light is available to everyone, no matter our level of current righteousness or how we might view ourselves.

"It is part of our condition as mortal beings to sometimes feel as though we are surrounded by darkness. We might have lost a loved one; a child might have strayed; we might have received a troubling medical diagnosis; we might have employment challenges and be burdened by doubts or fears; or we might feel alone or unloved.
But even though we may feel lost in the midst of our current circumstances, God promises the hope of His light—He promises to illuminate the way before us and show us the way out of darkness."

As I was pondering this talk and this message over the last couple days I came across another wonderful reference in the scriptures that talks a lot about the struggle between darkness and light.  In John Chapter 1, verses 4 and 5 we read;
 
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

The part that really jumped out at me was the end of verse 5 when John tells us that "the darkness comprehended it not".  Satan doesn't understand the light.  He knows that he has no power to live in the places where the Savior dwells.  He doesn't understand the light.  When I choose to live in the light and surround myself with things of the Light, his power over me is lessened greatly.  President Utchdorf echos this sentiment in his message;

"The darkness will surely fade, because it cannot exist in the presence of light. As we draw near to God, He will draw near to us. And day by day, the hope of God’s light will grow within us, “brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”
 
The key to this concept is in the second sentence of President Utchdorf's quote, "as we draw near to God".  Living in the light must be a choice, an action.  If I stand in the corner and isolate myself, I am choosing the darkness.  I have to choose to live in the light and surround myself with light and like minded individuals. 
 
Adding to the power of President Utchdorf's testimony, we have many scriptural examples of those who chose to live in the light and the impact it had on their lives and others.  The example that comes to mind is that of Captain Moroni.  In Alma Chapter 48 we read about the great spiritual strength of Captain Moroni;
 
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
 
Moroni chose to live in the light and so Satan wasn't able to have power over him.  The darkness doesn't comprehend the light.  It can't reach us when we are wrapped in the Light that comes from the Savior, when we allow it to permeate our very being.  Even when we fall, the Light is there to guide us back home if we continue to strive.  Our Father in Heaven and his divine Son recognize the greatness within us that we do not see ourselves and they are always there to love us and provide their light so long as we chose to live within it.  President Utchdorf again testifies;
 
"Your Heavenly Father knows that you will make mistakes. He knows that you will stumble—perhaps many times. This saddens Him, but He loves you. He does not wish to break your spirit. On the contrary, He desires that you rise up and become the person you were designed to be."
 
I am so grateful for the things and the people in my life that help me to choose the light and live in the light.  I am grateful that despite all my shortcomings, I am extremely blessed.  I am grateful for Prophets and leaders, both living and dead, whose example and message help me to understand these concepts better than I ever could on my own.  Most of all I am grateful for a loving Savior that will always provide his Light, I just have to chose to enter it.
 
~~~ Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment