Saturday, May 25, 2013

Patience and Thoughts on Step 6

So I was finishing Step 6 tonight and I was pondering one of the lessons in the Study and Understanding section.  It asked me to look at D&C 50:40-42 and apply it to myself by writing the verses out as if they were addressed to me personally.  Here is what I came up with.

Tim, you are a little child and you cannot bear all things, you must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.  Fear not, my child, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world.
And you are numbered among those my Father has given me and you shall not be lost.

What a wonderful message from my Savior.  That he understands I cannot bear all things, that he knows me and I am His.  That I shall not be lost.  Especially apt given my Blog title and my old handle.  As I completed this exercise and read these words I was reminded of the analogy given by President Utchdorf at the last General Priesthood Session in April;

It can be discouraging at times to know what it means to be a son of God and yet come up short. The adversary likes to take advantage of these feelings. Satan would rather that you define yourself by your sins instead of your divine potential. Brethren, don’t listen to him.
We have all seen a toddler learn to walk. He takes a small step and totters. He falls. Do we scold such an attempt? Of course not. What father would punish a toddler for stumbling? We encourage, we applaud, and we praise because with every small step, the child is becoming more like his parents.



As an addict that has struggled time and time again with falling it is so empowering to read and learn that my Savior and my Heavenly Father understand.  Step 6 is all about recognizing and understanding the many weaknesses and bad habits that I have and need to work on.  It is difficult to write about them and recognize that despite believing for years that I was a pretty good guy with one dirty little habit, that I actually have many things that I need to work on and improve.  Fortunately, I am lucky to have a Savior that loves me, understands me and counts me as His.  If I stick with Him, I will not be lost.  

~~~ Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment