Friday, May 10, 2013

Helpful Analogies: The Freeway

Probably more than any other analogy that has been shared with me over the years of my recovery, this one has impacted me the most.  My primary support sponsor uses this one almost every time we talk and text.  It has helped me to see the big picture on many occasions.

The Freeway

Recovery is like driving on the freeway.  It is the safest, fastest and most established route to get us to our destination:  A happy life of sobriety with wonderful connections and strong relationship with the Savior.  But in order to have success in recovery, or driving on the freeway, one must abide by certain rules.
  • Don't go too fast.  Much like driving on the freeway, trying to rush our recovery can lead to accidents(slips/relapses).  The steps are designed to help us grow, but we can only learn and grow with time.  I sometimes have to remind myself that I have been an addict for over 20 years.  Lasting recovery won't happen over night.  You don't change 20 years of bad habits with one good week or one good month.  Trying to push through a step a week or at a pace too fast prevents us from gaining the knowledge and growth that we will need to progress through future steps.  
  • Don't stop or slow down too much.  If you stop in the middle of the freeway, eventually you are going to have an accident.  Other cars may swerve around you for a period of time but eventually the crash will happen.  Stopping recovery is much the same.  If I just stop working the steps or doing dailies or attending meetings.  I will crash.  Much like a vehicle stopped in the middle of the freeway, halting my recovery is an accident waiting to happen.  Even slowing down substantially can have a drastic impact on my safety.  If I try to drive 30 on the freeway, I am going to  have an accident.  Recovery is the same.  Doing the bare minimum and slowly puttering along, WILL lead to a crash.
  • Be careful where you stop.  When you are traveling, sometimes you need to stop for gas and food.  Visits to the little boys/girls room can also slow our journey.  Recovery is much the same way.  Bad days will happen.  We all take pit stops from the freeway at times.  The places we choose to stop can make all the difference.  If I am having a bad day, and I am struggling mightily, do I choose to isolate, to hide from others and refuse to reach out for help?  This would be like stopping at the seedy rest stop with all the lights burned out and sending your child in alone to use the restroom.  Much like a child needs a parent to watch over and protect them in a potentially dangerous environment. Addicts need support individuals, family members, loving Bishops and of course the Savior.  Bad days will come, it's part of the process.  But we don't have to choose to enter that unlit bathroom all alone. 
  • If you do find yourself stuck in a dangerous place, get back on the freeway!  The most amazing part about recovery is that we are always near an on-ramp.  The freeway is always in sight.  If I stray away, one quick course correction can get me back moving again.  All it takes is that surrender of will to the Savior.  That acknowledgement that he is ultimately steering this car along the journey and if we give him back the keys he will skillfully pilot the vehicle back onto the freeway. 

This analogy has helped me so many times over the years.  I can't tell you how many times I have gotten a text from my sponsor when I am struggling that simply says; "Are you on the freeway?"  He doesn't have to explain, I know what he means.  Am I doing my part, am I letting the Savior share my journey and most importantly, am I moving forward? 

Here's to a great journey!

~~~ Tim

2 comments:

  1. I love this analogy. I use it too. I've heard a couple of additions as well:
    - If you do take a wrong turn (exit), you simply get back on the on-ramp (like you said), but you don't go all the way back to the beginning of the journey as if you haven't made any progress, so don't whine and act like you did.
    - Also, in some states there are call boxes along the road, where if you get in a jam you can stop and call for help.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great analogy. I like this. I like that we have to cruise at just the right speed. And know our exits and when to take them. I like what Sidreis added too, just get back on the freeway. I'm needing to do that this week....get back on the freeway and keep driving.

    ReplyDelete